Old wives tales must be true ;) and that night around 12:30 my water broke, at least I was pretty sure my water broke. If my water hadn't broken I was having some serious control issues. Mild contractions started and I thought if I was going to have this baby I needed to get some rest. I was finally able to fall asleep around 4. When I woke up at 6 with Nathan I wasn't having many contractions. I told him to still go to school since nothing was really happening. I tried to clean up the house and keep moving to see if it would start my contractions up again; it worked a little but not much. I called my Mom to let her know my water had broke. She told me to wait ;) and quickly jumped in the car to race to clock with a 6 hour drive from Vegas to Provo, trying to make it for the birth. (**A Huge Thanks to Aunt Susan, Ammon & Kirsten, Dad & Paul for all pitching in to help with Grandma Ras so Mom could be available to come up here to be with us!!) When Nathan was done with CapStone at about 10:30 he came home and we went on a walk. I got Harlow down for his nap and called Britney Noyce to come watch him. Nathan and I got to the hospital at about 11:30 and were admitted right away. They confirmed my water was broken and told us we were not going home without a baby.
We met with Dr. Broberg to talk about goals, expectations, and make a game plan. (I've only met with dr. Broberg once before but I had watched Him deliver Brielle. I've been very impressed with him.) He was so encouraging and believed in me! That helped me believe in myself! They started me on a tad bit of pit at 1:30 and contractions started right up.
Interjection: I've wanted to go 'natural' for a long time. This is one reason why I really didn't want to have Cholestasis, be induced, or put on pit. (With Harlow I had a hard recovery. I was so sore for so long! I believe that part of that was because I was a first-time mom but I know the episiotomy, the tear and the hemorrhoids did not help. Also, I was induced with Harlow because of Cholestasis at 38 weeks. My body was just not ready to have the baby yet so the induction was very hard on me. This time my body was ready to have the baby and helped itself along.) The desire to go 'natural' was like a two-faced coin. Part of me has wanted to go natural, to fully experience childbirth and I've had this desire for years. The other side of the coin was that I was terrified to. I knew it would be painful and I still remembered how hard it was with Harlow. How do you decide when you have such a drive to accomplish yet such a great fear of the same exact thing...
My main goal was to go unmedicated, of course that fell underneath the goal of having a healthy baby boy. (This is the goal that I talked to Dr. Broberg about and he believed in me. I had seen him believe in and encourage Becca as she had Brielle unmedicated.) Nathan was there to help and encourage me and so was Becca. The contractions started up and we breathed through them. They became more intense and I started to get a little scared. Nathan let me know an epidural was totally an option (haha, for which I wanted to hit him). I decided to wait until the doctor checked me to decide if I was going to continue on unmedicated or get an epidural. Thank goodness I was progressing; I was at a 5. I started believing I could do it! 15 minutes later I was at a 7. The contractions were very intense but when they were done I was able to laugh and even joke around with the nurses and Nathan. (The contractions were not as intense/scary as they were with Harlow)
Nathan and Becca were a huge help to me! I was all over the place, wanting one thing one moment and completely the opposite the next and they did everything I asked right when I asked them to do it. Nathan stayed by my side the entire time, helping and telling me I was doing an amazing job! Hearing that and hearing him gave me so much strength! (Just thinking about it now brings tears to my eyes)
I was in the pushing stage when I heard my Mommy's voice! She had made it! Only minutes later the baby was born.
Within three hours of starting me on the pitocin our sweet baby boy was born. The umbilical cord had been wrapped around his neck so when he was placed on my chest he was all purple; a bit of a scary sight for new mommies but he pinked right up. 7 lbs. 2 oz., dark hair and just as beautiful as can be. After looking at his sweet little face for a bit we decided to call him Kelton McKay Andersen.
Holding him in my arms makes my heart want to burst! My little piece of heaven! And being together with my family, my Nathan and our 2 little boys - Oh, I dare say, life can not get much better! This is what it's all about! This is what true joy and happiness it!
Holding him in my arms makes my heart want to burst! My little piece of heaven! And being together with my family, my Nathan and our 2 little boys - Oh, I dare say, life can not get much better! This is what it's all about! This is what true joy and happiness it!
I am no longer scared of childbirth.
After delivering Harlow I could not have said that, I was terrified of
childbirth! The thought of having another baby and going through that
again was something I didn't even want to think of for months and
months. I think what added to my fear of the pain was the fact that I
felt as though I had run away from the medicated contractions by getting
an epidural. That pain, along with worrying about my baby had been too
much and I didn't want to face it. That fear still lingered. My fear
started to go away when I had the miscarriage. I passed it when my body was ready, on my own at home, Nathan cheering me on then as well. With that, I knew I was strong. It was very challanging both physically and emotionally, but I did it, grew from it, and moved forward. With this birth approaching I
still felt calm. Again, I felt that my body was ready and also that I
stood up and faced childbirth, allowed my body to do what God made it to
do, and conquered one of my greatest fears. By doing that, by facing my
fear and being successful, realizing that my body did an amazing thing,
I no longer have the fear. I can do it! I did it!
It
really is an empowering feeling to know that I have delivered a baby on
my own. I feel like Wonder Woman! I really totally do! I also feel an
amazing sense of connection with women throughout the history of the
world!
***THANK YOU Becca Laing for these beautiful & amazing
pictures! You were able to capture so many emotions
& moments. Looking through them brings tears to my
eyes. God be blessed for giving us women the gift &
ability to bring children into the world!


































No comments:
Post a Comment