I was going to put the toddler bed where the desk is here in the last picture but Nathan had an idea to keep the desk there and put the bed next to it, where it will come out into the room. I think I like this idea. We'll have to see how it looks/feels when its actually in there. But it should still give us enough room to easily get into the drawers on the other side of his bed.
When do you move a toddler from his crib into a big boy bed? I am torn. Harlow has never tried to get out of his crib yet, which I love. In the mornings I'll hear him playing in his bed and when he finally wants to get out he'll call out for me or start crying. I like that I put him in at night and he stays in. He can't come into our bed in the middle of the night, escape at bed/nap time. I really like all these wonderful things. Some reasons to move him over would be that when he was done with his nap he can get up and come down stairs to me when he's ready and I don't have to go get him. He waiting for a few minutes to go pee-pee after he wakes up but sometimes I don't get to him fast enough and he'll just go in his diaper. Maybe if he could get out of bed on his own he'd go pee-pee in the toilet on his own, or come get me and we could go together....maybe that wouldn't happen for a while but I can always dream can't I...
I've heard a baby coming can be a hard adjustment for the older kid. Getting "Kicked Out" of his bed is only one of those things. (*today I was getting baby clothes out and putting the newborn stuff in the baby's dresser and Harlow found one with cars on it and wanted to put it on and was so upset that it wouldn't go on...I had to laugh, until he started stretching it out and biting/pulling it. "That's for the baby" wasn't clicking for him) So when do you move the older one over? Before the baby is born? After the baby is born and a month or so before you're ready for the new baby to be out of your room and into the crib?
I think I will keep Harlow in his crib as long as I can. He loves it, but he loves nearly everything and I think he'll love the new bed too...I guess it comes down to what Mommy wants right now and Mommy sure likes him in his crib :) but I do want this adjustment to go over well....us Mom's can wonder and fret all we want can't we, and it doesn't really seem to do much



I feel ya on the toddler bed. Afton is the same way with the crib, but I want to be able to move Ruby into it in another couple months. So we might just keep the crib packed away for a while when we move and get Afton a big girl bed.
ReplyDeleteI have been told several times that it is best to have the crib "empty" for a month or two before baby takes it over. That way they aren't as possessive over it.
Hopefully Harlow will transition well!
Sean's still in a crib, and Marjorie sleeps in a pack-n-play, just like Sean did until right before she was born. But I'm not looking forward to the toddler bed adjustment. I like knowing Sean can't get out of his bed when he's in there!
ReplyDeleteAnd I don't know how it would have worked differently if M were a boy instead of the sweet little girl thing she is, but Sean transitioned to having a sibling really well. When they're still so young, I think it's easier. It took about a week for Sean to realize she was sticking around, and he just adores her. Hopefully Harlow will feel the same about his little brother! So excited for you! :)
McPherson moved to a big boy bed at 19 months. He grew out of his pack and play and we didn't have a crib. We just bough side railings and put him on the bottom bunk of the bunk beds. He has done great. At first he was so excited that he could get out and play on his own he would stay in his room an extra hour to play with his toys. He knows how to open doors now, but he knows he can come out of his room at 7 or if he hears people up. and then for nap time he doesn't always go to sleep right away he might play for an hour or two but he knows he has to be quiet and that he can't open that door until he has slept. It has worked out great, even better in some ways.
ReplyDelete